Time to organize your wardrobe? Hang on to these clever closet-cleaning solutions.
Save the datePick a day when you can put aside a few hours and crank up the tunes !
Conquer and divideClothes that don’t make the cut fall into categories. Some items need a little TLC, others need to be given a happy second life with another owner. So label four boxes “donate”, “swap”, “trash” and “repair”. Don't forget to add handbags or shoes that need to be cleaned, polished or fixed.
What to keep?
How do you decide what stays in the closet? If you don’t answer “yes” to these questions, it’s time to get let it go.
- Does this piece fit me?
- Have I worn it in the past year?
- Is it in style/my style?
- Is it in good condition?
- Would I buy it today?
- Will I wear it again?
Host a swap
Bet you have other friends that need to get rid of stuff too, so suggest a clothing swap. You’ll all benefit when you trade gently loved items.
Hanging itPlace all your hangers hook facing in; when you wear an item, reverse the hanger. After six months, get rid of anything still facing in.
- Loop shower curtain rings on hangers for scarves, camis, tanks, bras and belts.
- Screw hooks into a board to hang and display necklaces.
- Hang shoe organizers inside closet doors (clear are better so you can see).
- Install a hook on the outside of the door for tomorrow’s outfit.